Monday 17 June 2019

Monday 17 June - Ulm and Bad Waldsee

Where's Bertie? He's in a Stellplatz at Bad Waldsee, where he last spent a night on 23 July last year. It costs €10/24hrs to stay here. Water and electricity are available for an extra fee.
Weather: Sunshine with just a few fluffy clouds dotted around this afternoon.

I intended to get up a bit earlier than usual this morning, so that I could run before the path on the north side of the Danube lost its shade. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell my phone of my intentions, so I wasn't quite as early as intended. Even so, it was still relatively cool as I set out, initially along the unshaded side of the river.

I didn't run anywhere today that I didn't run during last year's visit to Ulm & Thalfingen (albeit last year I did it across two separate outings), but I'd forgotten what an attractive route it was, along the riverside, through bits of woodland and passing a couple of lakes too. An hour and three quarters later I was back in the parkland adjacent to Bertie's parking space, where plenty of red squirrels were frolicking around.

Meanwhile, Mick ran a shorter distance (only his second outing on this return from injury - he's trying to be sensible) in the opposite direction along the river.

Breakfast, showers, a visit to the service point (we'd completely run out of drinking water) and a quick supermarket run and we were heading the hour south to Bad Waldsee.

Unusually, given there is both a free and a pay option for motorhome parking in Bad Waldsee, we have chosen the latter, with last year's mosquito-blighted stay-from-hell at the former having not been forgotten.

Like Ulm, having been here before, we didn't feel the need to explore Bad Waldsee, but did take ourselves off for a circuit of the Stadtsee (town lake) this afternoon. It's such a pleasant location and the water was well-frequented in this afternoon's hot sunshine.




Hmm. Massive photos again. No idea why. 

(I feel I should give a little detail about why we've come to Bad Waldsee two years in a row, so here you go:

Our German tour last year came about because we had been told by our Hymer dealer that they were unable to fix the problems we've had (since new) with Bertie's drop-down bed (in fact, his only bed; he's only a two-berth van) and that we would therefore have to visit the home of Hymer: Bad Waldsee. Hymer subsequently refused to see us, insisting that our dealer could fix the problem, but by then our minds were fixed on southern Germany, so that's where we came. We didn't need to come to Bad Waldsee on that tour, but when we found ourselves an hour away we thought we may as well make the detour, to visit the Erwin Hymer Museum (an interesting place; click here to see my blog post of that day), as who knew if or when we would find ourselves so close again?

At the end of August 2018 our dealer implemented a major design modification to our bed. It made its operation much more acceptable than it had been, but it still wasn't right. By early this year, after another mod, the conclusion reached was that we needed to visit Bad Waldsee. Hymer finally agreed to give us an appointment, so here we are. I'm not hopeful of actually reaching a resolution with the bed, but we felt we had to at least see what they have to say.)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like they couldn't identify the fault or noise and decided to fit new bits in the hope that will work. I get good free coffee when I wait for my Kia being serviced and it gets a wash and vac. even though I had done that before it went in. I pay a monthly figure which covers the cost of the service. The first time I cynically thought that there would surely be something they would find to charge me for but I was proved wrong.

    ReplyDelete