Wednesday 26 June 2019

Wednesday 26 June - Starnberger See

Where's Bertie? He's still in the same car park as yesterday, on the west side of the Starnberger See.
Weather: Wall-to-wall sunshine and hot (low thirties)

It was too hot to close any of the rooflights in Bertie last night. The downside to sleeping with them open is the need to get up at first light to close the blinds. I must remember that for future summer trips and pack a couple of eye-masks.

Even with the heat, I slept well, but the late nights (by my standards) and early mornings are catching up with me and it was harder than normal to get out of bed at 7am. It was worth it. Even at 0730 the temperature was 21 degrees and with the humidity I felt like I was running through treacle. Even so I recognised that my chosen route was absolutely lovely, through shaded woodland and open meadow, along the shore of the Starnberger See to the south of where Bertie is sitting.

Making my way back to Bertie I espied a spot that looked like it would have shade for more of the day than any other place in the car park and I reckoned Bertie would fit into it. It was a good call; the slope is inconvenient but worth it for the surrounding foliage. We will move again before bedtime.

Even with the foliage and the silver screens, by lunch time, it was starting to get uncomfortably warm, so we made a repetition of yesterday afternoon: shaded bench, crossword, reading books, swimming in the lake, a stroll around the park. Nowt like sitting in the shade in a wet swimming costume to keep cool on a hot day.

Alas, I forgot to pack snacks, so it was the need for food that forced us back to Bertie a few hours later, where I now feel like I'm melting as I type this. So, that's me done with sitting inside at the table - I'm off outside to catch whatever little hint of a breeze there is.



I only took one photo today, so I may as well throw it in.

2 comments:

  1. Which crossword puzzles are you doing? Perhaps from German newspapers? Or perhaps you can buy English papers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a daily electronic crossword and, for the days when we feel the need for more than one puzzle, we have a book too. They're all Daily Telegraph Cryptics.

      We do occasionally see British newspapers for sale in the bigger places we visit, but haven't bought a hard copy paper in years (either in the UK or abroad).

      Delete