Saturday 22 June 2019

Saturday 22 June - Leutkirch-im-Allgäu

Where's Bertie? He's still at the Stellplatz at Leutkirch.
Weather: Mainly overcast but clearing to a bit of sunshine this afternoon.

I must have only been asleep for a matter of minutes last night (Mick was still reading) when I was rudely awoken by a huge moth attacking my head. A few more minutes were spent chasing it around Bertie with a pint pot before it was ejected into the night. As we had fly screens across the open rooflights, I can only guess that it came in earlier in the day and loitered unnoticed in some nook or cranny until it deemed it a good time to cause maximum disturbance. At least it wasn't mosquitos!

Today started with three laps of the lake, which we ran clockwise, because that's the direction of the Strava Segment (and we are slaves to Strava Segments!). Other people were also out on the same circuit, but going in the opposite direction. That perhaps explains (together with the fact that relatively few women seem to use Strava) why there wasn't a women's league table for this segment. There is now and I am (by virtue of being the only name on it) at the top.

At the end of the run I checked out the prices at the outdoor pool, with a mind to taking a short swim and a long shower. However, I was more interested in having breakfast than a swim by then and Mick suggested that maybe we should go at 1700 instead, when the price reduces from €3.50 to €2.50.

I thus found something else to fill my time after breakfast: planning. We want to be in Munich for a parkrun next Saturday morning, which gives us just 7 nights to spend between here and there (yes, Munich isn't very far away, but we are very good at travelling slowly). With the assistance of the new map, plus my usual electronic resources, I came up with a string of potential night-stops that make logistical sense. Then, with the benefit of wifi here, I did something almost unprecedented: I started researching even further ahead and came up with places that looked visit-worthy for the following week too.

That was enough sitting around indoors. After lunch, off into the forest we headed, initially chosing paths somewhat at random, until we realised we had been on 'Route 2' for a while and opting to continue to follow it unless it became apparent that it was no longer sensible to do so (it was sensible; we found a start/end point in the car park right opposite Bertie's Stellplatz).

Initially, through the forest, the way put us in mind of Cannock Chase.

Stumbling upon a small chapel in a remote spot in the trees was very German, though.

Then we found ourselves in open meadows with far-reaching views.

We'd been going a while before I thought to record the route. I've drawn in a line for the bit I didn't record. It came in at 5 miles.

As 1700 came, our plans to go for a swim evaporated. We have so often found ourselves by outdoor pools in Germany that I feel we ought, at some point, to go and visit one. There would have been merit in going today (it's been almost deserted each time we've been past today, because it's not very warm out by southern German standards), but we decided to leave the activity until a lazier day, when we haven't filled our time with running and walking.

Today's bonus photos - little and large - another snap of the huge articulated motorhome, plus one I managed to grab this morning of the tiny Piagio Ape:


2 comments:

  1. I used to fly fish many years ago at Chelker reservoir above Addingham. I tied my own flies (the fishing kind) and one was a "huge moth" made from turkey wing feathers which was fished with short casts off the concave curved dam wall in the crepuscular semi light of a warm summer's evening - 'twas very effective.

    Ah! a forest with proper paths for a change.

    Love the photo of the contrasting motorhomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure which would have been more alarming: being woken by a living huge moth, or one manufactured out of turkey wing feathers!

      There's another characterful motorhome (another biggie - about 12m long) at tonight's Stellplatz, but the owners arrived home just as I was by it earlier, so I couldn't get a snap.

      Delete