Sunday 23 February 2020

Sunday 23 February - Ricote

Where's Bertie? His wheels remain unturned, at the Aire in Ricote.
Weather: Yet more wall-to-wall sunshine.

On the dot of seven last evening, whether by some signal or related to sunset, I know not, the pigeons all landed in a cluster in the car park. Everyone stood around pointing and discussing for a while, then individual birds were picked up, placed back into their carriers and the various cars and scooters slowly trickled away.

Curiosity got the better of me and I consulted Google, which (via this page: https://www.wired.com/2015/03/ricardo-cases-paloma-al-air/amp told me that the painted pigeons are all male, chasing a single female, all the time being trailed on the ground (as we observed) by cars and scooters, presumably occupied by the birds' owners. The winner is the pigeon who, over the course of the event, is observed to spend the most time closest to the female.

Onwards to today, which started with a run for Mick whereas my intended hilly 8-miler was cancelled. When I turned over in the night and felt a twinge in my hamstring, I hoped it would resolve by morning, but alas that didn't prove to be the case. In fact, when I went out for a walk first thing, I only made it to the end of the road before turning to limp back.

Unfortunately for my leg, I'm not very good at spending an entire day sitting around, so we went out for a gentle stroll this afternoon. I took Mick to the start of the path up to the castle remains, but he vetoed (on my leg's behalf) going up there. Instead we took a tour around most of the points of interest on a trail through the village ... and in so doing walked further, with almost as much ascent, as if we'd gone up to the castle. Mick was quite right. My leg has not appreciated the activity.

There's some sort of mini-carnival/parade going on in the town this afternoon (involving kids dressing up and some music), but I'm afraid that it's start time clashed with the England rugby match. So we returned to Bertie where I'm sitting quietly and Mick's glued to the screen of his mobile phone, occasionally making such loud exclamations that I have more than once leapt in the air in surprise at the sudden noise.

Later...

We didn't need to go to the carnival, as it came to us. It's final hour was at the community centre, behind which the Aire is situated. The volume of the music was quite something, but they're not through-the-night party animals here; by 7pm the partying was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment