Wednesday 19 August 2020

Project Erica: The continued frustrations of indecision

The forecast for rain for most of today proved to be accurate, so it was allocated as a planning and buying day.

I had great plans to order all of the electrical gubbins that I haven’t already bought, including connectors, cables, fuses, fuse board and the bits and pieces I’ll need to make a control panel (my current preference is to make my own control panel; this may yet change).

What I have actually achieved is hours and hours of failing to make a decision on the very first item on my ‘to buy’ list*.

We need a way to charge the leisure battery from the starter battery/alternator. We also need a solar controller. The options to achieve this are as follows:

  1. A voltage sensitive relay (VSR), plus a solar controller.
  2. A battery-to-battery (B2B) charger, plus a solar controller.
  3. A combined B2B and solar controller.

I like Option 3, but my chosen unit comes in at £150-£170 more than Option 1* and whilst I wouldn’t hesitate in spending that if this was a van in which we were planning to use for extended trips, it’s difficult to justify in this context when a VSR + solar controller would do the job. I’ve pretty well ignored Option 2 as if going down the B2B route then it makes sense to go for Option 3.

So, I checked the specification of some VSRs and chose one. I was just about to come over all decisive and order it, when I spotted another that had better features and wasn’t much more expensive, so I thought we’d go for that one instead. I ran the options past Mick and it appeared that the decision was made.

Then I fell down a rabbit hole related to the appropriate cable to use with a VSR. The manufacturer’s instruction manual told me I needed to use cable rated to at least 120A for the 120A VSR, but surely, I thought, the fact that the VSR is rated to 120A doesn’t mean that’s what we’ll be putting through it, so surely we didn’t need such enormously large cable? Some (where ‘some’ = ‘a lot of’) Googling ensued and that question was answered to my satisfaction. However, what I read during that diversion also alerted me to potential problems using a VSR when you also have solar installed.

What to do next? Spend at least another half a day researching the best way to make Option 1 work, or go for the easy (and technically better) option of spending the extra on Option 3 (after I’ve read the unit’s manual again, to be sure that it does meet all of our needs)? 

Whilst I was tearing my hair out over things electrical, Mick was having his own frustrations (and making equally little forward progress) with specifying the materials for the sofa/bed – an issue that is not being helped by both Wickes and B&Q apparently having a timber shortage just now (at least around here, if not nationally) and with minimum order values for delivery being prohibitive. Once we finally settle on the specification, I think we’ll be getting in touch with some local independent timber merchants.


__We have various sizes of timber lying around, which resulted in some highly scientific strength tests__

Both the electrics and the timber will have to wait another while now before our attention returns to them, as it’s forecast to be dry tomorrow and thus a suitable day for drilling holes in Erica’s roof.  

 

*Worse, on top of not managing to order so much as a single fuse, I received confirmation that the order for the toilet, that I would have sworn I placed last week, didn’t go through and the supplier is now out of stock.

2 comments:

  1. We have Travis Perkins up here who are good for all sorts of stuff including timber. I have an account there which gives a bit of discount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have a Travis Perkins not too far away, but unfortunately they don't do the sizes of timber we're after (not that we've actually decided what we're after, but they don't do anything in the right sort of area).

      Delete