Monday 31 August 2020

Project Erica - Part 6 - You've made your bed...

When we started planning for our van conversion, way back last November, we had the clear notion that we would do things in a sensible order. First we would strip, then we would run cable (including the solar panel), then we would insulate (including the roof), apply a vapour barrier, then apply the final finishing layer to walls and ceilings, before moving on to constructing furniture. We continued to hold onto that notion of a sensible order right until about a week or so after we took delivery of Erica.

With the whole debacle with the solar panel, it became clear that if we waited until we had the solar wiring in place, and the roof insulated, and the roof liner back in, then we would be doing an awful lot of sitting around waiting – particularly with the need (once we have a solar panel we’re happy with) for good weather for that job. Likewise, if we waited for the wall carpet to be delivered, we would be wasting a spell of dry sunny days. When we analysed the situation, we concluded that even though it didn’t feel like the right order, there was no reason why we couldn’t build the sofa/bed, even if we weren’t going to fit it just yet (and it was thus going to take up residence in our living room). Moreover, doing that would feel like real progress.

So, a week last Saturday that’s exactly what we started. It took us three half-days to complete (i.e. 1.5 days total). The process was approximately as follows:

  • Build the base
  • Build the frame for the lid/slats
  • Take the frame back apart and make it the right size
  • Apply hardboard to the slat frame
  • Remove hardboard from the slat frame and refit it the right around
  • Cut the slats, make design modifications on the hoof to take account of two issues we foresaw
  • Fit slats
  • Remove slats, modify slats, apply washers to create a stand-off for slats
  • Stand back and feel mightily proud of our handy work!

I cannot tell you how many hours it took me to put together the video of the process. Probably longer than it took to build the bed!  Here’s the final result:



You’ll notice that in this video we made good use of the workbench that, if you missed it in a post last week, you’ll find me describing in this very short video:


 

2 comments:

  1. All very interesting. I noted your technique of putting in screws diagonally to secure right-angle joints. I have often done that but wondered how it may be viewed by the pros. What is that tool that looks like a jig - presumably it hold things square while you fix? The chop saw is something I never had but regret. The video, perhaps because speeded up, looks like a masterclass in teamwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have included more footage to make it clearer that we were using pocket holes, not screwing through the right-angle joints on the diagonal. I'm not sure how pros feel about pocket-holes, but I like them!

      The black jig with the handle is the pocket-hole jig. The jig that looks remarkably like a drawer is what we use to hold things square whilst we fix.

      I took quite a bit of footage of the pocket-hole jig in use when making the wheel arch boxing, but then didn't include any of it in a video, and because I felt like I'd already focused on pocket-holes enough (which, of course, I hadn't, because I didn't publish the footage!), I didn't repeat myself in the bed-build.

      That chop saw has undertaken many a task over the decade and a half that I've owned it and this is the first time that I've wished for one of better quality, so that I didn't have to take such particular care to make sure it's correctly lined up on each plane.

      Even though the footage was very much abbreviated and sped up, I think we did do a pretty good job on the teamwork :-)

      Delete