Friday 17 February 2023

Friday & Saturday 17-18 February - Seville

Where's Bertie? He's in an Aire, in the port on the S side of Seville, where he also spent 4 nights at this time last year. The price has increased since then from €12 to €14 per night (electricity is available for an extra fee).
Weather: Fri: Mainly overcast, some sun, very windy, but warm. Sat: Cloudy start with a couple of brief showers, clearing to sunshine by late morning. Warm.

Last year we arrived in Seville on the Thursday, only to then realise that the location for collecting Mick's marathon race number was 10km away across the city. I went by bike to pick it up on the Friday morning. This year we took the race number logistics into account, arriving in Seville a day later, allowing us to swing by the exhibition centre on our way.

I'd identified a huge Bertie-friendly car park (the access road proved less Bertie-friendly, but he made it through) a kilometre away from the exhibition centre. There I left Mick and Bertie, set off on foot, arriving within minutes of the doors opening. Five minutes later, I was on my way back to Bertie, having profited from last year's experience and knowing exactly where I was going (and being blinkered to the stalls and activities that lay between the entrance and the collection desks). 

Onwards then to the Aire, situated in a big car yard, which is still as unattractive as it was last year, but it serves its purpose well. For most people, that means going into Seville for a look around. For the second year in a row, it's likely we won't do any touristing, except for that done by Mick on his run tomorrow and me on the marathon route on Sunday.

The less eyebrow-raising of the two electric hook-up points at the Aire. We've not partaken of this offering.

Saturday
Whilst Mick went out to run 24km along the river, amongst hundreds of other runners, and with plenty of activity on the water to entertain him too, I did a bit of organising. My kit is all layed out for tomorrow and Mick's phone now has the marathon route marked on two different mapping Apps, plus he's got pins in Google Maps telling him where he's going to cheer me on with notes on how far through the route those places are.


Snapped by Mick during his run. The building site on the right used to be a car park and is where we stayed in Colin-the-Motorhome back in 2016.

I also got the bike out of the boot for the first time on this trip, for Mick to use tomorrow, and having pumped its tyres I thought I may as well put it to good use by cycling, rather than walking, the 1km to the supermarket to pick up some salmon for tea. 

Mick got back just as the day was getting toasty, and not long later off I went for my final pre-marathon jogette. I headed over to the start/finish area, where a thermometer in the street told me it was 24 degrees (although not shaded). The forecast for tomorrow morning says it's going to start at a pleasant 12 degrees then build to 22.

My mid-run snap

Back at the Aire we confirmed simultaneously that the water temperature in the showers here hasn't improved from last year. Our showers were both short by virtue of the temperature being on the cold side of tepid.

1 comment:

  1. It's now Sunday so depending on time (it's 3:00 pm here) you may well have finished by now so I hope it has gone well. I look forward to hearing your report
    News has just come through that a body has been found in the river Wyre at St. Michaels, presumably that of Nicola Buley who went missing there a couple of weeks ago sparking off a grreat mystery and all sorts of publicity.

    ReplyDelete