Thursday 2 February 2023

Thursday 2 February - between Playa de Puebla de Farnals & Playa de Puçol

Where's Bertie? He's in a huge grass/dirt car park fronting the promenade next to a small urbanización that lies between the bigger resorts of Farnals & Puçol. Exact location: 39.57397, -0.27820
Weather: Wall-to-wall sunshine. A frosty start again, but warming to t-shirt and light fleece weather.

It was me who lounged in bed this morning as Mick sprang up at the sound of the alarm clock. He headed out the door an hour later into another frosty morning. I soon hauled myself out of bed and set about the main task of the morning: working out where to go between now and getting to Seville in 2 weeks' time.

The result was a booking at a 'camper park' (i.e. a campsite, but only for motorhomes) starting tomorrow for six nights. It would have been seven (and thus a slightly lower per-night price) except that I accidentally counted fence posts rather than panels*.

With Mick back, a flurry of activity ensued, and with one minute to spare before our 72 hours was up, we pulled out of the Aire. Not that anything would have happened if we'd overstayed, other than that we would have been rude and inconsiderate to others who wanted our space. There were clearly quite a few people there who have taken root. It's an ongoing bugbear that many Spanish towns invest in motorhome facilities, but don't enforce the limits or rules, such that long term dwellers make it difficult for tourers to find spaces.

Where to go? We settled on driving a whole 2km to this car park that we've passed on foot quite a few times between us (but never together) over the last three days.

Motorhomes all neatly parked. Despite looking like a field, it is an official car park.

It's rather nice here - much nicer than the Aire - with access directly onto the wide seafront promenade (of which I included a photo in yesterday's post).

With my left quad not at all happy with me*, two short walks have been my only activity today.

This afternoon's stroll took us to this historic watch tower, past which we've been running, but hadn't previously stopped to read the information board. Ignoring the English section, I was chuffed (after three years of daily Spanish lessons on Duolingo) that I could read the the Spanish with only a small handful of words that I either didn't know, or couldn't recall their meanings.

Otherwise, more of the same: working on't laptop.

(Actually - one other occurrence of the day - Mick noticed the number plate of the British van two away from us (MH07 FUN (i.e. motorhome fun)), and recognised it as one we'd seen last week and to whose owners he'd chatted. He was going to go and say hello again, and assure them that we're not really following them. Fortunately they were out, as next time we passed he realised that it was one digit adrift from the one we'd seen before (MH04 FUN). A near miss on one of those incidents when you heartily greet someone in the street before realising they're not who you thought they were.)

(*Mick assures me that the use of this description of the error I made isn't peculiar to us, but is generally understood. I hope he's right.
*Immediately before leaving home I did a 32k run, which was my second of that length of this chunk of training, having worked gradually up there over a few months. The 32k run didn't leave me sore. Not sure whether today's extreme soreness was a result of so much sitting around, and relative lack of running, whilst travelling and (more particularly) with shingles, or whether it was the shoes I wore. They're the same shoes I'll be wearing for the marathon, so I'm not expecting to be doing much walking the day after that either.)

No comments:

Post a Comment