Sunday 26 February 2023

Sunday 26 February - Berrocal

Where's Bertie? He's spending one final night at the Aire at Berrocal.
Weather: Sunny intervals. Mid-teens.

We took a short walk through the village centre last evening on our way back from the bins. The hubbub could be heard as we approached, and there was quite a gathering in the square, including a brass band (although they weren't playing whilst we were there). Most people were dressed completely normally, but there was a smattering of fancy dress of various quality (from a princess dress to someone fully painted blue). We didn't stay long, with chores still to do and the evening cooling down.

Having visited the Rio Tinto yesterday morning, today I took myself off in the opposite direction, into the 'hills' (they're very little hills). I'd chosen my route based on paths and tracks on the maps, and it didn't work out entirely well, with one of my paths having been recently (by appearances) obliterated and replaced by a bulldozed track. That would have been fine, save for the gradient, which felt akin to an Olympic ski jump, and the loose surface, which was comparable with a plate of ball bearings. As I stood at the top and looked down it, I thought I was going to have to turn back, but examining the map I decided that if I could just get to the bottom, I'd be on good paths from there. So it was, but the rest of the route, via the summit of a pimple that wasn't notably bigger or smaller than those around it, wasn't overly exciting.

It looks a reasonably sensible gradient from this angle. It wasn't.

See?! 


Hills

I was mainly on good tracks

Activities that aren't worth writing home about filled the middle chunk of the day, then as Mick (full of cold and having a quiet day) was reading his book this afternoon, I finished off the socks I've been knitting:

This trip's knits to date. I didn't think the hat would get any use in Spain, but it has. As for the socks, I'm generally a fan of the West Yorkshire Spinners birds range of sock yarn, but I've decided I don't much like this one (Bullfinch). Good job they're for Mick!

We'll be on the move again in the morning, after a lovely peaceful few days here. What a contrast to everywhere else we've been on this trip, being at times silent, but otherwise with the sound of birds, donkeys and the bells of grazing sheep (plus occasional passing motorbikes on the weekend; we said on the drive in that the road would be attractive to motorbikers). The view must be the best of the trip so far too.

2 comments:

  1. Just a smidge to the north of you there are the amazing caves in the centre of the town of Aracena. Well worth a visit. https://www.andalucia.com/province/huelva/aracena/gruta-de-las-maravillas.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason that Aracena is on the agenda for this trip (it's due to be our next-but-one stop) is because you told us about those caves in 2019 and we made a note to go there next time we were passing. Now all we need is for Mick to get better before we get there, as at the moment he's in no fit state to be in company in a confined space.

      Delete