Wednesday 22 February 2023

Tuesday 21 February - Umbrete

Where was Bertie? He spent a second night in the Aire at Umbrete.
Weather: Wall-to-wall sunshine and warm (22 degrees).

Good news: my quads were feeling much better. Bad news: my immune system isn't thanking me for Sunday's effort and for the first time in over three years, I have a cold.

I thus had a nice gentle start to my day whilst Mick went out to run a 10km route around the nearby olive plantations.

Back at Bertie, showers were preceded with the decision to pop a bit of extra water in Bertie's tank. A good job we did, as the first 15 litres (we were filling via a water container and funnel rather than moving Bertie to the service point) didn't move his tank off 'empty'. After a little bit of thought, we realised that the last time we put any in was on 11 February, and then we only filled to 60 litres. I think this says a lot about our level of cleanliness*...

I was just cleaning down the cubicle post showers, when I started hearing bits of a telephone conversation going on outside. Popping my head out of the shower room door, I asked Mick whether something was on fire, as one of our neighbours seemed to be talking to the emergency services and was describing a blaze. Sure enough, in the olive plantation in front of Bertie was a big plume of black smoke. Ten minutes of excitement ensued involving the police and the fire brigade. The latter had it extinguished within a couple of minutes of arriving.

Continuing our trend of only visiting towns when they're dead in the mid afternoon, after lunch we went for a look around Umbrete. What a smart place it is! My theory is that it's the proximity to Seville (commuter belt), meaning that there's more money there than in most places we visit.

The first square upon which we stumbled

Impressive church (but closed)

An Ermita and a Convent. All of these places had information signs outside

Having seen the town, there was nothing else to keep us in Umbrete, so we resolved to leave mañana.

(*I say that tongue in cheek. In the same way that we can wash a whole day's worth of dishes in less than a litre of water, it's amazing how little water you can get away with for a thorough flannel wash.)

No comments:

Post a Comment