Sunday 25 August 2019

Sunday 25 August - Altenglan

Where's Bertie? He's still at the Stellplatz in Altenglan.
Weather: Gloriously sunny and hot (29 degrees).

I'm struggling to think of a day on tour when we've spent so much of it sitting around. We're experts in sitting around when at home, but it's a rarity when we're away.

We've not been entirely without activity, having started the day with a run (9 miles for Mick, 12.7 for me (I miscalculated a little on my intended 12-miler)). It was a lovely cool start (the forecast said 18 degrees but it felt cooler), but by 10am it was heating up fast.


Snaps taken mid-run

The benefit of the heat was that I knew that the hand-washing I did at lunchtime would dry. Using the drying rack that hangs through an open window, we were then forced to stay in (that's my excuse anyway!) - or to sit out on our deckchairs, initially under the shade of the adjacent tree, then in the shade of Bertie.

Between 10am and 2pm we had plenty of passing pedal-powered-train-carriage-thingies. I had assumed yesterday that the rideable route would only extend 4 or 5 miles down the disused branchline, but noted today that almost everyone had coolboxes and bags on the back of their carriages and it thus looked like they were out for the day. Curiosity got the better of me and I turned to the internet for some answers. It turns out that the ride is 25 miles long and the cheapest of the pedal-carriages (carrying up to 4 people) costs €39/49 (mid-week/weekend) per day to rent. As it's a single track, all of the traffic goes in one direction only and we'd hypothesised yesterday as to how the logistics work. Today we noted that the traffic was flowing the opposite way and the website confirmed that on odd days of the month you ride from, and on even days to, Altenglan (we're sitting about 200m from the end of the line). There are various places you can stop en-route (how does that work? Sidings?) - hence the picnics.

Other than keeping abreast of the cricket score via the BBC Sports App (a more modern version of when I used to 'watch' snooker via teletext), that has been the extent of our day.

No comments:

Post a Comment