Wednesday 21 August 2019

Wednesday 21 August - Bad Dürkheim

Where's Bertie? He's back at the Stellplatz in Bad Dürkheim, having left for a couple of hours in the middle of the day.
Weather: Glorious sunshine this morning and this evening, with a bit of cloud forming (and unforming) during the afternoon.

A speedy walk up the nearby hill started my day, before I returned to Bertie to release his engine battery ready for replacement. Then we set about waiting for a man with a battery to appear.

I filled that time by finishing off my jumper, swiftly followed by a photo shoot:



It's taken me months to knit this one, in part because every last inch of the whole thing is patterned, so there's no mindless straight knitting, and also because the summer temperature in southern Germany isn't conducive to making progress on anything that requires yarn to slip easily through the fingers.

I'm glad I didn't put even one more row on the length. This is how much yarn I had left over.

Moments later a man with a battery appeared. He didn't impress us. "Are you going to carry out any checks to make sure the battery is faulty?" Mick asked. He turned the key in the ignition. The engine failed to turn. "Yes, it's dead" he said. I'm glad we do know a thing or two (and have had input from some people on the Hymer Owners' Group too) to be happy with our own diagnosis, because he would have been happy to charge us for a new battery just because of, say, a fault with our charging circuit.

Leaving us with an invoice and a request to go and give him some money later, we finished packing away, used the service point and then set out to make a series of battery-unfriendly journeys (i.e. short hops that were going to take more out of the battery than they put in).

The garage came first, where I left Mick loitering whilst I trotted off to find a cashpoint. In another demonstration as to how cash rules in Germany, this garage couldn't accept a card. I returned with €100 notes - something I'd never seen before (given the current exchange rate, they're almost the equivalent of a £100 note).

Next was a trip to Lidl (adjacent to which was a more commercial-looking workshop with a number of motorhomes outside; perhaps we would have been better off going there ... if we'd known of its existence?) as our enforced stay yesterday had left our supplies varying between 'dwindling' and 'exhausted'.

By then it was past lunchtime and we'd not even had elevenses, so were ready to eat a scabby dog. However, we didn't have far left to drive, as we'd decided to stay in Bad Dürkheim again tonight, just in case the battery problem transpires to be a more serious electrical problem that manifests itself again in the morning.

My chosen entertainment this afternoon was to cast on the partner of a sock I knitted weeks ago. Unfortunately, since then I had forgotten how to do Judy's Magic Cast-on, so before I could get started I had a need for wifi to watch a YouTube tutorial. That's how I came to find myself sitting on the pavement outside of a branch of Deutsche Bank (the only open wifi I found in town), staring at my phone whilst knitting. Probably best if I don't dwell on what other people make of my behaviour at times like this!

Mick came along with me for the walk and snapped me deep in concentration.


Fountain of the day. Possibly of the month. I found it when in search of a bank this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Looks as though you are knitting wool appearing from your ear 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does rather! Even more reason for people to stare.

      Delete