Wednesday 14 August 2019

Wednesday 14 August - Bad Wimpfen

Where's Bertie? He's in a car park in the town of Bad Wimpfen (exact location: 49.22658, 9.16015)
Weather: Grey start with a few showers before clearing, via sunny intervals, to become mainly sunny by late afternoon. Cool morning (17 degrees).

After yesterday morning's run, we took our yoga mat into the park and worked through the post-run stretching regime recommended by Mick's watch. He's been doing this for a while, but it was my first time. The stretches all felt perfectly reasonable, but it seems that they exercised a muscle group that I don't usually use. The result was that I opted to walk this morning, covering one 5km circuit along the river, whilst Mick ran two laps.

"Why are we going to Bad Wimpfen?" Mick asked me a while later, as we were driving the 20 minutes to get here. It's usually whilst we are in transit that he enquires as to where we're going (what sort of parking, what facilities) and what's around it of interest. My answer for Bad Wimpfen was a little hazy. I had it in my mind that we'd driven past last year and thought it looked an interesting place.

It is an interesting place too, in the same mould as many other small towns around which we have walked this summer:


I'll be interested to see these snaps on a big screen when we get home. On the small screen of my phone they never seem to convey the wonkiness and detail of the buildings.

There was no structure to our amblings today as the Tourist Office was closed and the town map available on their display stand gave no information about the points of interest, so would have been of little value. It's not a big town, though, so I think we were reasonably thorough in our visit.


Good views both ways along the valley from the town walls.

The river shown in the snap above is still the River Neckar, in whose vicinity we have been for a couple of weeks now. Tomorrow we will veer away from it for a couple of days before giving it one final flying visit at the weekend. 

No notable sculptures or fountains today, so let's have a Door of the Day. 

(As an aside: I gave in to the cooler weather today and put three-quarter length trousers on, after a couple of months of shorts-wearing. The benefit to this cooler spell (I hope it's just a spell, but maybe summer is over?) is that I can finally make proper headway with the jumper I'm knitting. The heat over the last few weeks has left me with hands too sweaty to allow the yarn to run through my fingers (= tension all over the place). I've been able to do the occasional row here and there late in the evenings some days, but other times it's been too hot right through the night. Also related to the temperature, last night was the first time in about a month and a half that we had a blanket on the bed all night. The duvet remains unused in Bertie's boot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment